Geographically in the heart of the highlands and originally called Cille Chuimean, Fort Augustus was renamed following the 1st Jabobite rebellion by King George II after his son William Augustus, (he later earned the title 'Butcher Cumberland` following the battle of Culloden). The Fort built by General Wade was blown up by Prince Charlie's forces in 1745 and the remaining barracks were purchased by Lord Lovat in 1876. When it was leased to the Benedictine Monks they set about converting it to an Abbey and installed Scotland`s 1st Hydro scheme. The last Monks left in 1988.n
This Lighthouse at Fort Augustus was built in 1840 to mark the entrance to the Caledonian Canal from South Loch Ness. It stands on the east side of the canal. The term pepperpot is used to describe a particular type of small lighthouse that has an architectural style similar to a scaled-up salt or pepper shaker. The Canal has three of this type of lighthouse, each comprising a short round tower with a conical roof. These lighthouses are the smallest in Britian
Originally the site of the ferry crossing, until the Jacobite defeat of 1746 when the redcoat army built a three-arched stone bridge. It was importantly used by all the cattle drovers travelling to the south from Skye. It later carried the main road from Fort William to Inverness. In the floods of 1849 most of the bridge was washed away and a temporary trellis bridge was constructed. the remains of the bridge and one of the original stone arches are what you see today. The bridge remained in use until 1934 when the new road bridge was built opposite the canal swing bridge.
From the modern bridge that carries the A82 through the village, you can look north and see a large bridge pillar in the centre of the River Oich. It is all that remains of a bridge built to carry railway tracks from Fort Augustus station to a station at Fort Augustus Pier. Passengers could then catch a steamboat travelling up Loch Ness. The railway was short-lived; it opened in 1903 and closed down in 1933. The line was abandoned and the bridge allowed to decay.